This position will work primarily with scientists using high-throughput “omics” data for projects in cancer and neurology. The intern will be mentored by staff bioinformaticians at Sage, with opportunities to participate in projects with other Sage computational biologists as well as with our collaborators.
Benefits of interning at Sage include opportunities to work with a variety of datasets and scientific projects, learn professional software engineering skills in the context of bioinformatics problems, and to further Sage’s mission of promoting open science.
What you’ll be doing:
• Processing and loading diverse omics datasets using the Synapse platform and cloud computing.
• Prototyping and testing new services for omics data using the Synapse platform, including visualization, documentation, computation, etc.
• Developing R Shiny applications for accesing data.
• Developing and implementing standard data quality, formatting and annotation processes.
• Supporting DREAM challenges sponsored by Synapse.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
• Are enrolled in an accredited degree program working towards a degree in bioinformatics or a closely-related discipline with at least one term to finish after the completion of the internship.
• Can commit to a 6-month, full-time position.
• Have programming skills in R or Python.
• Are experienced with computing in a Unix/Linux environment.
• Graduate students are strongly preferred; exceptional junior- or senior-level undergraduates may be considered.
• Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills.
• Coursework in molecular biology, algorithms, and statistics.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization. We are dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.