At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
We are looking for a Scientific Community Manager, who would be an integral part of a large team at Sage. Your colleagues have a range of expertise, including in computational biology, research ethics, software engineering, and as data librarians. You would contribute your expertise in bridging communications among several of our large consortia as well as among hundreds of researchers in the Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) research community. Responsibilities include managing discussion and help forums, facilitating in-person and remote meetings, developing training materials, and managing outreach efforts. Outreach activities include organizing exhibitions at scientific conferences, and the creation and maintenance of web and social media presence to promote awareness of AD research efforts. Working knowledge of basic biology and an understanding of the scientific research process are helpful. Passion for supporting collaborative and open-science efforts are essential.
What you’ll be doing:
Community member support
- Provide researcher support in a timely, efficient, and professional manner.
- Monitor discussion forums and queries for assistance with data retrieval.
- Work with data contributors to host data-use seminars and conduct “office hours” so scientists have an opportunity to ask questions directly of Sage staff and/or data contributors.
Outreach and communication
- Develop training materials and other resources for researchers, including FAQs, video tutorials, in-person workshops, and a quarterly newsletter.
- Distill and communicate key research results through social media.
- Promote the work of AD research consortia at scientific meetings.
- Design and maintain website content that highlights consortia research efforts, including leading development of a strategy for finding and obtaining new content from consortia members.
- Organize working-group meetings, facilitate discussion, and take minutes.
- Track key working-group deliverables and keep teams on target.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are enthusiastic about open science and collaboration.
- Enjoy handling diverse responsibilities and work well in a distributed team setting.
- Are an excellent communicator verbally and in writing, able to connect with a diverse community.
- Are able to write clear, detailed technical correspondence.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related field, and/or an understanding of biomedical research processes.
- Have at least 1 year of experience in marketing, communication, or other outreach activities.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization that is dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects. Sage offers a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.