At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
The technology platform team at Sage is developing a system called Synapse to support open data-driven biomedical research, and serve as a public resource for the scientific community. This platform has already been used to support a number of high profile scientific studies in oncology, neurodegenerative, neuropsychological, and other disease areas.
What you’ll be doing:
The primary focus of this position is the engineering and support of the web-services/back-end tier of Synapse, our scientific collaboration platform.
- Work with product manager and key users to understand requirements.
- Collaborate with fellow engineers on feature design.
- Implement new features and improve existing ones, following our engineering best-practices for code organization, documentation and testing.
- Help analyze the performance of, optimize and ensure the continued up-time of the deployed system.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- A BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Versatile and strong programming skills:
- Expert-level Java experience is a strict requirement for the position.
- Experience with Java frameworks and open source technologies, especially Spring
- A strong understanding of object-oriented design and programming, and design patterns
- An ability to effectively collaborate with other team members on n-tier architecture and REST API development
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting software in production environments
- Practical agile development lifecycle experience. Familiarity with software development tools including Eclipse, Jira, Maven, GitHub etc.
- Familiarity with SQL and how to structure an RDS schema for best performance
- Familiarity with other languages used on our team, especially Python
- Commitment to test-driven development, and rapid, automated release cycles
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- SaaS architectures that leverage commercial IaaS platforms, especially Amazon Web Services
- Bioinformatics / genomics / biomedical data and use cases
- Open source software development
About the Team
We are an 18-person professional software engineering team embedded in a 60-person research institute with world class experts in genomics, bioinformatics, statistics, and computational biology.
We care about:
- Providing an entrepreneurial environment and freedom to rapidly develop technological solutions to complex problems.
- Test-driven development, continuous builds, and rapid automated deployments.
- Intra-disciplinary collaboration, with emphasis on creating clean, well-structured code.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization in Seattle, WA. We are dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.