Are you passionate about pushing biomedical research to be more open and effective? We are looking for a senior-level individual to drive the strategy and improve the operational efficiency of Synapse, our platform for enabling data sharing and promoting large-scale collaborative research. Our ideal candidate combines a working knowledge of biomedical research and a passion for open science with professional technical product management skills. This is a role that will report directly to the CTO, and work closely with the full executive team to meet the needs of the organization. The successful candidate will be able to guide product development, support research collaborations, and coordinate work across multi-disciplinary teams. Prior experience and strong working knowledge of trends in areas including cloud computing and SaaS offerings, data management, machine learning, and data science is required.
What you’ll be doing:
- Systematically assess and report on the scientific and technological opportunities for Sage to support collaborative biomedical research. Develop intelligence on the capabilities and needs of Sage competitors, partners, and customers, and provide recommendations on strategic direction to the Sage leadership team.
- Drive and manage the program’s product roadmap and drive priorities for the engineering & design teams to align with the platform’s strategic vision. Develop and prioritize the product backlog, and work with design and engineering management to develop staffing plans and timelines.
- Develop use cases and requirements to guide the development of extensions to our technology platform, and partner with designers and community managers to obtain and integrate user feedback.
- Provide ongoing evaluation and feedback on Synapse to the core engineering and design team, incorporating both direct user input and usage metrics to make product development decisions.
- Develop and maintain effective channels of communication to keep the user community informed on new platform capabilities and other Sage programs, and build compelling, customer-focused content that develops the user community. Lead outreach activities that may include developer meet-ups, representation at scientific meetings, and/or user workshops.
- Develop plan with communications and marketing professionals to promote Sage technology to our target user groups, and assess the effectiveness of customer outreach and retention over time to build the user base.
- Contribute to the development of collaborations, fund-raising and/or grant writing.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- BS in biomedical sciences, computer science, library and information science, or another discipline related to data-intensive research and/or data management.
- 5+ years in professional product management roles supporting SaaS / cloud offerings, preferable in the biomedical research space.
- Experience applying agile software development practices, supporting software releases, and developing metrics to drive product success.
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills with the ability to communicate with a variety of technical and non-technical collaborators and drive projects to successful conclusions.
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and balance many parallel tasks
- Moderate amount of travel required (~10%)
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a leading nonprofit biomedical research organization dedicated to improving patient outcomes and furthering the understanding of human health and disease. We focus on integrating clinical, genomic, imaging, real-time sensor, and other biomedical data to better predict disease progression and response to interventions. We are committed to accelerating biomedical research by developing open technology platforms and programs that allow researchers around the world to more easily collaborate on large-scale scientific problems.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.