At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
We are looking for a Research Scientist to join our Neurodegeneration Research group. You will contribute to computational biology research projects within the National Institute on Aging’s MODEL-AD consortium – a consortium that is taking insights from our understanding of Alzheimer’s disease to build better mouse models. Research areas may include 1) inference of Alzheimer’s disease stage with manifold learning or other machine learning techniques, 2) developing methods to identify AD subtypes based on integrative data analysis across omic and clinical data, and 3) identification of early stage disease drivers, disease stage, and disease subtypes from single-cell RNA-sequencing data. Enthusiasm for the application of computational biology and technology to enable open, collaborative, and reproducible biomedical research is essential.
What you’ll be doing:
- Performing independent research from inception to publication on genetic and genomic contributions to Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Crafting and developing algorithms for interrogating and interpreting complex genomic data.
- Coordinating collaborative research across multi-investigator working groups.
- Working with clinicians, biologists, and other bioinformaticians in academia and industry to develop bioinformatic analyses and visualizations of genomic data.
- Writing technical documentation for a scientific audience, authoring scientific papers for peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- Training and mentoring scientists and research associates.
We’d love to hear from you if you
- Have a Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Neuroscience, Computer Science, or related discipline; or another scientific degree with commensurate experience.
- Have experience working with high dimensional genomic data, including sequencing data, gene expression, genotype, CNV, and/or data from other high-throughput biological technologies.
- Demonstrate excellence in research with evidence of advancing an area of computational biology.
- Are proficient in R or Python.
- Understand advanced machine learning or statistical techniques, such as manifold learning, probabilistic graphical models, Bayesian inference, and optimization methods.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Are passionate about open science, reproducible research, and collaboration.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization. We are dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.