Sage Bionetworks is looking for an user researcher with a strong skills in design and content development based in Seattle to help shape the future of our technology platform supporting biomedical research communities (https://synapse.org). You will be part of a close knit and dedicated team of designers, engineers and product managers with a strong user focus and drive an increased focus on user research in the next generation of this platform.
Design and user experience (UX) plays an integral role in our work. The job of an Interaction Designer is to envision how people experience our product and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and understandable. In this role, you’ll take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for a variety of users on the Synapse platform—from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with a variety of stakeholders ranging from internal staff at Sage to international users. At each stage, you will anticipate and validate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product is delightful to use.
- Create design concepts and proposals, and explore them from early stage sketches to fully-featured prototypes.
- Develop user understandings and work with the design team to plan and support regular testing and user engagement.
- Help the company focus on the user by organizing and executing user research and related activities to help generate new product opportunities and directions.
- In partnership with Product Management, Engineering and Scientific teams, develop a framework and user model to improve the existing product, and develop new extensions or complementary products.
- Provide design and implementation support to Engineering teams.
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, product, industrial) or Human-Computer Interaction.
- Experience working closely with Engineering teams and other UX professionals to ensure initial design explorations can transfer into polished launch-ready experiences.
- 2 – 6 years of work experience in a related field.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D in related field (e.g HCI or interaction design).
- Significant experience designing for web and experience conducting user research.
- Experience integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills with a strong emphasis on crafting compelling narratives for leadership team and other stakeholders.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a small non-profit organization dedicated to pioneering open approaches to advancing biomedical research. We are dedicated to improving patient outcomes and furthering our understanding of human diseases by integrating diverse clinical, genomic, imaging, and real-time sensor data to better predict disease progression and response to interventions. We are based in Seattle, US and collaborate broadly throughout the world.
- Entrepreneurial environment and freedom to develop solutions to complex problems.
- Emphasis on user centered and service design.
- Collaborative environment with an emphasis on solving the right problem.
Sage offers a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team.
In addition to submitting an online application, please email our design team at email@example.com to indicate your interest in this position.