At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
Are you the type of person who enjoys engaging with scientists and researchers across many disciplines? Do you have the ability to break complex technical problems down into manageable pieces, and extract common requirements from disparate sources? Do you want to be an integral part of a team that includes computational biologist, research ethicists, software engineers, and data librarians? If so, you could be our next Android Software Engineer.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working on a team of Mobile App and Platform developers
- Developing Android apps and contributing to open-source frameworks for cutting-edge Mobile Health research studies
- Interacting with scientists (internal and external), designers, research ethicists, and others to define and clarify requirements
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are passionate about open science and collaboration.
- Have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Have extensive experience building and deploying software products with significant user communities. Proven experience developing new products in a rapidly changing start-up environment is strongly preferred.
- Have strong mobile app development experience on Android over the entire software development and deployment lifecycle, including:
- Submitting to app stores and using app store metrics.
- Experience interacting with third party notification providers.
- Use of third party metrics packages to understand user behavior and improve the app.
- Strong coding skills in Java, relevant Android frameworks, and solid CS fundamentals. Kotlin coding experience is strongly preferred.
- Broad understanding of effective development patterns on the smartphone.
- Are able to effectively collaborate with other engineering team members on REST API development, and to align Android development with parallel work on iOS.
- Have practical agile development skills, and experience with automated build – test – deploy environments appropriate for mobile.
- Have strong verbal, written, and organizational skills.
- Are a self-starter with the ability to multitask and succeed in a start-up environment.
About the Team:
- 18-person professional software engineering team embedded in a 60-person research institute with world class experts in genomics, bioinformatics, statistics, and computational biology
- Entrepreneurial environment and freedom to rapidly develop technological solutions to complex problems
- Emphasis on test-driven development, continuous builds, and rapid automated deployments
- Collaborative environment with emphasis on creating clean, well-structured code
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization in Seattle, WA. We are dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.