Work on projects that make a difference! Sage Bionetworks (www.sagebase.org) is a leading nonprofit biomedical research organization dedicated to improving patient outcomes and furthering our understanding of human diseases. We focus on integrating diverse clinical, genomic, imaging and real-time sensor data to better predict disease progression and response to interventions.
The technology platform team at Sage is developing a system called Synapse to support open data-driven biomedical research, and serve as a public resource for the scientific community. This platform has already been used to support a number of high profile scientific studies in oncology, neurodegenerative, neuropsychological, and other disease areas. An emerging need is to allow the customization of the user interface for each community.
The primary focus of this position is the engineering and support of the UI web tier of Synapse, our scientific collaboration platform. In this position you will, along with the Synapse UI team:
- Work alongside the Sage UX/UI Design team to understand user needs and how to realize them as web browser-based user interfaces.
- Evaluate available UI frameworks.
- Implement and support the UI tier.
- Collaborate with back-end engineers as they design web services which support front-end features.
- On an on-going basis, analyze the performance of, and optimize the deployed system.
- Help support the existing Synapse system as a member of our dev-ops team.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Versatile and strong programming skills:
- Experience with Java
- Experience writing production quality software in one or more industry standard languages.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other team members on n-tier architecture and REST API development.
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting software in production environments
- Practical agile development lifecycle experience. Familiarity with software development tools, including issue tracking, source control management, integrated development environments.
- Commitment to test-driven development, and rapid, automated release cycles
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment
- Experience with one or more of the following desirable:
- SaaS architectures that leverage commercial IaaS platforms, especially AWS or Google
- Bioinformatics / genomics / biomedical data and use cases
- Open source software development