At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
The technology platform team at Sage is developing a platform called Synapse to support open data-driven biomedical research, and serve as a public resource for the scientific community. This platform has already been used to support a number of high profile scientific studies in oncology, neurodegenerative, neuropsychological, and other disease areas. An emerging need is to allow greater customization and generalization of the underlying platform to provide more targeted support to different research communities. An example of this is our work supporting the Alzheimer’s Disease research community though the AMP-AD Data Portal – a resource for researchers who want to understand and reuse data from the AMP-AD consortia and Agora – a community driven platform to prioritize and evaluate new Alzheimer’s disease drug targets.
What you’ll be doing
The primary focus of this position is the engineering and support of the web tier of our scientific collaboration platform. In this position you will:
- Work alongside the Sage UX/UI Design team to understand user needs and how to realize them as web based user interfaces.
- Implement and support the UI tier.
- Collaborate with back-end engineers as they design web services to support front-end features.
- Analyze the performance of, and optimize the deployed system on an on-going basis.
- Help support the existing Synapse system as a member of our dev-ops team.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other team members on n-tier architecture and REST API development.
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting software in production environments, especially in cloud hosted environments such as AWS.
- Practical agile development lifecycle experience. Familiarity with professional software development tools, including issue tracking, source control management, and continuous integration and testing environments.
- Commitment to test-driven development, and rapid, automated release cycles
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills, and the ability to multitask and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
About the Team
We are a 20-person technology development team embedded in a 70-person research institute with world class experts in genomics, bioinformatics, statistics, and computational biology.
We care about:
- Providing an entrepreneurial environment and freedom to rapidly develop technological solutions to complex problems.
- Test-driven development, continuous builds, and rapid automated deployments.
- Intra-disciplinary collaboration, with emphasis on creating clean, well-structured code.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization in Seattle, WA. We are dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.