At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will improve human health.
Sage Bionetworks, a pioneer in bringing open science practices to biomedical research, is looking for a Vice President of Technology. This role combines engineering skills with a robust product development mindset. The ideal candidate should have a deep understanding of software engineering aimed at supporting biomedical data and AI products. Sage oversees management of over 2 petabytes of biomedical research data and has the goal to maximize its reach and impact in accelerating medical discovery.
In this role, you will be a member of our senior leadership team, reporting directly to the President/CEO. You will drive our technology product to support data and AI strategy. The successful candidate will lead our engineering teams, overseeing product development from conception to launch, and ensuring that our products meet the highest standards of quality and innovation, and align seamlessly with our strategic objectives.
- Lead and inspire the engineering team to develop innovative products that advance biomedical research and healthcare.
- Drive the technical roadmap for managing data and its derivatives, including AI models, staying abreast of emerging trends and technologies in the field, and ensuring that product development is agile, innovative, and user-centric.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align engineering efforts with the overall product vision and company strategy/OKRs.
- Oversee all aspects of engineering, including software development, quality assurance, and systems architecture.
- Foster a culture of excellence in engineering practices, emphasizing continuous improvement and adoption of the latest technologies.
- Work closely with the President/CEO to align engineering, AI, and data strategy with overall business objectives.
- Manage resource allocation and budgets to support new and existing projects consisting of grant and contract based work.
- Cultivate a culture of innovation, encouraging the exploration of new ideas and technologies in AI and engineering
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in software engineering, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role managing engineering teams.
- Proven track record in leading successful product development in a technology-driven environment.
- In-depth knowledge of AI technologies, data engineering practices, big data platforms, and familiarity with machine learning algorithms.
- Strong understanding of the biomedical research domain, with experience in healthcare technology being a significant plus.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to motivate and guide teams towards achieving strategic objectives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, capable of building strong relationships across departments and with external partners.
- Deep knowledge of software development methodologies, architectural patterns, and emerging technologies.
- Experience in agile project management and a strong understanding of product lifecycle management.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, adapting quickly to changing priorities.
- Ensure technical competency in engineering staff through recruitment, training and mentorship.
Essential Job Functions
The cognitive and physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Sedentary work: prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Repetitive motion: substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Sage Bionetworks is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit package, competitive to both commercial and not-for-profit life science organizations. The plan includes: health, dental, vision, life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Long Term Disability benefits; paid time off; a retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; a shared incentives plan, voluntary Long Term Care insurance, and other voluntary products. Additional information can found here: Benefits – Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This is a senior leader level position, with a compensation range of $170,000-$225,630