At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will improve human health.
If you have a passion for and are enthusiastic about collaborative and reproducible research, metadata, making research FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable), have knowledge of data modeling processes,, and sufficient knowledge in the biomedical domain, then we want to hear from you!
We are seeking an individual to support the curation of biomedical data resources related to several NIH cancer research programs. In this role you will contribute to the curation and distribution of ”omics” and other data and research resources from funded grants. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about collaborative and reproducible research, knowledgeable of metadata and its role in in the FAIRness of data reuse, experience in data modeling and data wrangling, and a basic knowledge of biomolecular research to support these cancer data coordination efforts
What you’ll be doing: (key job responsibilities)
- Work within a team of data managers, scientists, and engineers to curate, distribute, and publicize highly-dimensional biomedical datasets and other research resources such as software tools, bench tools, and publications coming from multiple NIH supported programs.
- Lead the development and documentation of metadata standards for sharing research resources including datasets, publications, software tools, etc. under the Findability, Accessibility, Interoperability, and Reusability (FAIR) guiding principles.
- Independently develop, implement or extend data models/schemas in coordination with project leads and stakeholders.
- Independently develop new processes for maintaining and growing data models to meet the strategic needs of the research community.
- Lead efforts to streamline curation processes and implement new methods using scripting.
- Manage access to sensitive datasets in collaboration with the Sage data governance team.
- Document data ingestion processes and curation SOPs. Write data release notes. Produce data reports.
We’d love to hear from you if: (basic skills/qualifications)
- Have a master’s degree in library and/or information science, biological or computational field, OR a bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of relevant work experience. Experience working with high-dimensional data is preferred.
- Have experience and/or knowledge of metadata and its impact in the findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability of resources.
- Have experience and/or knowledge of data modeling. Knowledge of relational data modeling is a plus.
- Have experience working with common biomedical data types derived from disease model systems and patients. Experience with gene expression and other omics data is preferred.
- Have an interest in learning about new high-throughput biological technologies.
- Are proficient in, or willing to learn, a scripting language such as Python or R.
- Have a basic understanding of SQL.
- Have a basic understanding of JSON.
- Are able to prioritize, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Has clear technical writing and informative documentation
- Are able to work individually and within a team.
- Are passionate about open science and collaboration.
- Can work under deadlines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and those that may be required occasionally. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; may stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmarked methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Sage Bionetworks is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit package, competitive to both commercial and not-for-profit life science organizations. The plan includes: health, dental, vision, life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Long Term Disability benefits; paid time off; a retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; a shared incentives plan, voluntary Long Term Care insurance, and other voluntary products. Additional information can found here: Benefits – Sage Bionetworks
At Sage we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This position is an Professional level position, with a compensation range of $75,658 to $101,193.