Application receipt for the 2020 internship program is now closed and we are reviewing candidates. Please check back early next year to apply for the 2021 internship program.
Sage Bionetworks, Seattle, WA
Applications will be accepted until February 15, 2020.
At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
We have established an internship program for early career bioinformatics researchers to train with us and gain real-word experience in performing responsible and reproducible research. We are seeking a Bioinformatics Intern for a six-month paid internship starting in summer 2020. As a member of our team, you will be mentored by senior scientists at Sage Bionetworks to support various research projects in cancer, neurodegeneration, or systems biology, including DREAM challenges. Benefits of interning at Sage include opportunities to work with a variety of datasets and scientific projects, learn professional software engineering skills in the context of bioinformatics problems, and to further Sage’s mission of promoting open science.
What you’ll be doing:
- Curating and loading diverse biomedical datasets using Sage’s Synapse data-sharing platform.
- Prototyping and testing new services for biomedical data using the Synapse platform, including visualization, documentation, computation, etc.
- Developing and implementing standard data quality, formatting and annotation processes.
- Supporting DREAM challenges by testing infrastructure, providing forum support, and analyzing data.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience working with scientific and/or large datasets.
- Are proficient in R or Python.
- Have an undergraduate graduation date before the start of the internship period (summer 2020).
- Can commit to a 6-month, full-time position.
- Proficiency in a Unix/Linux environment is preferred.
- Background in biological sciences is preferred.
In light of recent concerns of Covid-19, all interviews will be conducted remotely, and most positions will be remote through at least June 30, 2021. The option to work on-site at our Seattle office prior to June 30, will be considered upon request.