At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will accelerate translation of science into medicine.
If you are the type of person who enjoys engaging with scientists and researchers from many disciplines; and wants to be an integral part of a team that includes computational biologists, research ethicists, software engineers, and data librarians; and managing complex scientific projects to ensure diverse teams make effective progress we would love to hear from you.
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing scientific leadership to develop standards and protocols for storing, describing, and sharing heterogeneous data (including clinical, genomic, and imaging datasets).
- Working with a team of bioinformaticians, statisticians, and software developers at Sage to coordinate and manage resource and data sharing efforts for multiple research consortia.
- Facilitating data sharing across collaborating biomedical research labs by developing tools, writing documentation, curating data, and maintaining project web sites and/or data portals.
- Developing use cases and requirements to inform the selection of data models and workflows for a variety of biomedical data types.
- Interacting with collaborators to identify data management needs and respond to requests for data and programmatic support.
- Interacting with funders and collaborating research labs to identify data management needs, and respond to requests for data and programmatic support.
- Managing access to sensitive human datasets in collaboration with the Sage ethics and data governance team.
We’d like to hear from you if you have:
- Enthusiasm for open science and collaboration
- A Master’s degree or PhD in Library Science, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Computer Engineering, or related field
- A minimum of 4 years working with high dimensional life science data repositories
- Experience with research or clinical data models and data management tools
- Proficiency in R or Python
- Familiarity with Linux shell scripting
- Experience with collaborative development and version control systems (e.g., git)
- Experience mentoring and teaching data skills to others
- Project leadership experience
Essential Job Functions
The cognitive and physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Sage Bionetworks is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit package, competitive to both commercial and not-for-profit life science organizations. The plan includes: health, dental, vision, life, AD&D and long term disability benefits; paid time off; a retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; a shared incentives plan, voluntary long term care insurance, and other voluntary products. Additional information can found here: Benefits – Sage Bionetworks
At Sage we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This position is a Professional or Career level position, with a compensation range of $90,632 to $129,302.