About the Project
AACR Project Genomics, Evidence, Neoplasia, Information, Exchange (GENIE) is a publicly accessible international cancer registry of real-world data assembled through data sharing between 18 of the leading cancer centers in the world. Through the efforts of strategic partners Sage Bionetworks and cBioPortal, the registry aggregates, harmonizes, and links clinical-grade, next-generation cancer genomic sequencing data with clinical outcomes obtained during routine medical practice from cancer patients treated at these institutions.
Sage Bionetworks is seeking a data scientist with expertise in biostatistics who will participate in data coordination and data quality efforts across participating sites of an expanding international network. The data scientist will participate in retrospective clinical research project by working with data managers, researchers, project leadership, and strategic informatics partners. The candidate must be able to work both independently and in a team environment. The ideal candidate is an experienced and highly organized individual. Once hired, the candidate’s full effort will be devoted to AACR Project GENIE.
The candidate will use bioinformatic systems to support genomic variant based clinical studies and to enhance the ability of physicians, pharmacologists, and molecular biologists to analyze and interpret genome-wide data. The candidate will be required to (1) collaborate and consult with the staff of the AACR GENIE Coordinating Center and GENIE Project Sites and (2) develop novel research analyses on topics important to cancer prevention and treatment.
- Master’s or Ph.D. graduate with a degree in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Computer Science, or related discipline
- 3+ years of post-graduate experience in statistical and analytical methodologies including logistic regression, survival analyses, and calculating odds/hazard ratios
- Experience in SAS, STATA, or R required
- Experience with conducting studies in biostatistical and epidemiological methodologies using clinical datasets a must
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with demonstrated attention to detail
- Must be able to prioritize, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in Python or SQL nice to have
- Knowledge of clinical oncology terms and definitions strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of analyzing genomic and clinical data to identify molecular targets, resistance mechanisms and effective new drugs, drug combinations and biomarkers for guiding treatment is a plus.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
Sage embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. We are committed to pay parity and making our salary ranges available to all employees. We invite you to apply and we welcome a conversation. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.
In light of recent concerns of Covid-19, all interviews will be conducted remotely. Sage supports a distributed work environment, and generally provides flexibility to our team members to work on- or off-site.
Sage provides a flexible work environment and will accommodate requests for geographically remote work with manager approval. Sage will also accommodate local employees who choose to work remotely from the Washington area with the option to come into the office on a flexible schedule.
This is a professional level position with a compensation range of $80,975 – $98,000. Actual compensation is dependent upon experience.