At Sage Bionetworks, we design and develop modern tools for data-intensive biomedical research with the goal of accelerating the translation of science into medicine. Central to this mission is a commitment to responsible data management and sharing. More than a decade into our service to this mission, we act to manage ingress, storage, and accessibility of biomedical data in more than 50 cross-institutional research programs. We are seeking a data expert who will build on our data infrastructure strategy and portfolio to guide the next 10 years of our work.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to grow a new team at Sage specifically focused on data & data tooling. Bringing together bioinformatic engineers from across the organization, the team will have four primary functions. First, team members will work with project teams to meet the data management needs of ongoing projects. Second, this team will be responsible for setting common processes, tools, and infrastructure that can be implemented at an organizational level across projects. Third, you will develop our overarching strategy for how we should integrate with external standards and systems across the biomedical data ecosystem, and what problems we should be focusing on in our internal development efforts. Fourth, you will actively engage in fund-raising activities, typically through grant based mechanisms and/or partnerships.
As the head of the data infrastructure group, you will serve on Sage’s leadership team, where you will have the opportunity to work with the President to substantially influence the direction and impact of our growing organization. The leadership team works to guide organization-wide strategy, set core values and culture, fund-raise to support our organization, and work across teams to ensure our operational success.
In this position you will:
- Manage a team that includes director-level informatics experts, bioinformatics engineers, software developers, and technical project managers focused on developing infrastructure for ingress, storage, and accessibility of biomedical data.
- Oversee a portfolio of projects supporting infrastructure development for multiple funders including 5 NIH institutes (e.g., NCI, NIA, NIMH, NHLBI, NCATS) to facilitate data sharing and collaboration among research communities investigating cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Down syndrome, and other disease application areas.
- Develop a model whereby your team can meet the data management needs of data-intensive projects across Sage’s scientific portfolio. It is anticipated that your team members will serve on cross-organizational project teams alongside a scientific lead, data curators, project managers, bioinformatic analysts, and data governance experts.
- Develop standard operating procedures and common tools to streamline data management and dissemination across projects.
- Identify solutions for common infrastructure components to support data ingress, storage, and accessibility of large-scale, cross-institutional biomedical datasets spanning a range of data types including (but not limited to) molecular, imaging, sensor, and medical records data.
- Set requirements for internal Platform development to meet Sage’s data management needs and partner with the Platform team to ensure that internal development meets requirements for data management strategy.
- Develop strategy for integration with external tools and infrastructure where necessary.
- Set a strategic plan that identifies best opportunities and approaches to leverage our internal development of data & tooling to advance biomedical research.
- Partner with the research ethics and governance team to develop innovative integration of governance and technology to enable data use in the context of legal, regulatory, and ethical considerations.
- As a member of Sage’s leadership team, contribute to development and implementation of organizational strategy.
- Establish new strategic partnerships in data infrastructure on behalf of the organization.
- Interface with external stakeholders to promote Sage’s vision, to develop common standards, to identify points of integration, and to establish our value proposition to the broader data management community.
- Maintain external visibility for organization including through conferences, committees, publications, etc.
- Apply for and procure funding to support Sage’s data infrastructure program.
- BS in computer science, bioinformatics, or related fields. Advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years designing & implementing large-scale data management systems
- Demonstrated track record of effective management of technical teams
- Experience managing large scale data platforms
- Familiarity with data and infrastructure standards in biomedical research
- Use of cloud computing in solutions
- Experience in leadership for transformational organization changes
- Experience procuring funds (e.g., through grant writing or contract development)
- Experience in outreach and strategic development including of partnerships
- Experience working with biomedical research data (e.g., imaging, genomics, clinical, or sensor data)
- Experience with biomedical/clinical ontologies and related standards (e.g., formats, APIs, protocols)
- Experience with clinical research data management systems and data models
- Experience working with large-scale genomic and imaging data
- Familiarity with genomics and clinical data communities and standards (e.g., GA4GH, HL7, ISO/IEC, CDISC)
- Knowledge of data security and privacy protections for working with Protected Health Information (PHI)
In light of recent concerns of Covid-19, all interviews will be conducted remotely, and most positions will be remote through at least September 30, 2021. The option to work on-site at our Seattle office prior to September 30, will be considered upon request.