We are looking for a Director of Benchmarking & Challenges to lead strategies for the evaluation and benchmarking of biomedical tools and algorithms.
At Sage, we provide services and infrastructure for the assessment of tools and algorithms across a portfolio of life science research endeavors. Most notable is our support of the DREAM Challenges, a community that hosts crowd-sourced data challenges to promote innovation and reproducibility for high impact scientific questions. As Director of Benchmarking and Challenges, you will be responsible for managing strategic and operational activities related to our portfolio of benchmarking projects and data challenges. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee a team of bioinformaticians, data scientists, and engineers supporting data challenges in life sciences.
- Assist external partners in the design and execution of data challenges. Core activities include overseeing development of challenge questions; processing and assessing data; selecting metrics; writing and publishing results.
- Develop standard-operating-procedures and best practices to streamline challenge operations.
- Lead the development of standardized benchmarking protocols and metrics.
- Oversee infrastructure supporting benchmarking of bioinformatic tools and algorithms on large-scale datasets spanning a range of data types including (but not limited to) molecular, imaging, sensor, and medical records data.
- Manage existing relationships and establish new strategic partnerships. The role will interface with both the technical/scientific and non-scientific audiences alike in an engaging and cohesive manner.
- Engage with global research, industry, and standards development communities to keep abreast of new technologies and best practices.
- MS/PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, or related quantitative field
- Experience working with biomedical research data (e.g., imaging, genomics, sensor data)
- Experience in the development and evaluation of machine learning methods and predictive analytics
- Familiarity with biomedical data standards
- Use of modern cloud computing environments
- Experience working with large-scale genomic and imaging data
- Familiarity with genomics data communities and standards (e.g., GA4GH)
- Knowledge of data security and privacy protections working with Personal Health Information (PHI)
In light of recent concerns of Covid-19, all interviews will be conducted remotely, and most positions will be remote through at least September 30, 2021. The option to work on-site at our Seattle office prior to September 30, will be considered upon request.