Sage Bionetworks, Seattle WA
At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
Do you want to help develop research applications that change our understanding of human diseases and improve the lives of patients around the world? Do you want to work with emerging mobile sensor technologies to capture human health data in new ways? Do you want to work at the intersection between scientists and patients to make participating in research a valuable and approachable experience?
Sage Bionetworks is recruiting a senior leader to join our Technology Platform team who will direct design for biomedical research within the organization. Design and user experience (UX) plays an integral role in our work. Sage Designers work to envision how people experience our product and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and understandable. In this role, you’ll lead a team that takes on complex tasks and transforms them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for a variety of users on the Sage platform and associated applications—from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with a variety of stakeholders ranging from internal staff at Sage to international users.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop and execute plans to systematically gather user feedback and champion an improved end-user experience through all aspects of the Sage platform.
- Lead a team in creating designs in various formats as appropriate to support development and interactions with users and other stakeholders, and in conducting usability and end-user-acceptance testing with external user representatives.
- Define effective hand-offs in work-product between Design and other Sage departments (engineering, research, governance, business ops). Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to shape project and platform direction and deliver compelling experiences to our end users.
- Manage team priorities and staffing issues at daily / weekly level. Communicate design goals, timelines, and milestones to internal and external project stakeholders, and manage the design aspects of multiple projects in parallel. Balance effort between delivering needed functionality on active projects with the development of a technology platform that anticipates future company needs.
- Ensure strong design practices are developed and maintained by the team. Evolve the Sage Design System to meet changing organizational needs.
- Recruit and mentor junior staff and to build the capabilities of the team as a whole.
- Report to the CTO to ensure team is aligning with Sage organizational priorities and strategy, and work with him to prioritize work across different projects.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- A BS in interaction design, graphic design, HCI, or equivalent technical degree
- At least 10 years professional design experience spanning conceptual development, qualitative research, software UI design, and visual design.
- A strong online portfolio or samples of previous design work.
- Proven experience supporting new products in rapidly changing start-up environments.
- Ability to design for different form-factors (web, mobile, tablet, wearable devices).
- Knowledge of agile development practices, and experience integrating design work with engineering teams following agile practices.
- Ability to lead by example and direct teams, preferably with prior formal leadership roles.
- Prior domain experience in medicine and science, and / or experience developing visual representations of complex quantitative information is desirable but not strictly required for consideration.