At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will accelerate translation of science into medicine.
Sage Bionetworks is seeking a Principal, Strategic Partnerships to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success in developing and managing strategic partnerships from initiation to execution. You will be responsible for identifying, developing, and executing partnerships that support Sage Bionetworks’ mission to accelerate biomedical research through open science and collaboration.
What you’ll be doing:
- In partnership with the leadership team, develop, lead and execute a strategic partnership plan that aligns with Sage Bionetworks’ goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to define strategic requirements and addressable markets for key opportunities, determine capability or operational fit with our strategy, and develop and manage partnership targets.
- Identify potential partners and serve as primary liaison from initial conversation to executed agreement.
- Translate technical and business needs of potential partners to fit within Sage’s business model, science, technology, and expertise. Work with internal teams to assess capabilities to meet the needs of prospective partners.
- Manage the day-to-day relationships with partners and maintain the value of current and possible new partnerships.
- Own the tracking and reporting on partnership performance and keep the leadership team apprised of any barriers in moving a partnership forward.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Passion for open science and collaboration.
- A Bachelor’s degree in biology, bioinformatics, biomedicine, or related field. Relevant professional experience can be substituted for educational requirements.
- 10+ years of combined relevant experience in business development establishing long-term business and development partnerships with companies in the life science, non-profit, or pharma/biotech sectors.
- Possess an established network including C-level and senior VP-level contacts in life science, pharma/biotech, medical device, or healthcare sectors.
- Strong client management experience.
- History of successfully identifying and coordinating proposals via federal funding agencies (i.e. NIH, DoD), foundations and alike, preferred.
- Strong negotiation skills and extensive experience with negotiation tactics, from building trust to creating value and delivering beneficial agreements.
- An interest in AI as a business catalyzer, preferred
- Experience working with sensitive and regulated data, especially human health data, preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing metrics to track deal flow pipeline.
- Effective and efficient communication skills for diverse audiences, including subject matter experts and leadership.
- Ability to write clear, detailed technical content.
- Ability to thrive in a multi-stakeholder environment, create a sense of urgency, and rally teams to meet program objectives.
- Proven track record of building positive working relationships across multiple departments and functions.
- The ability to align vision/strategy/execution in highly ambiguous environments.
Essential Job Functions
The cognitive and physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Sedentary work. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Sage Bionetworks is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit package, competitive to both commercial and not-for-profit life science organizations. The plan includes: health, dental, vision, life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Long Term Disability benefits; paid time off; a retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; a shared incentives plan, voluntary Long Term Care insurance, and other voluntary products. Additional information can found here: Benefits – Sage Bionetworks
At Sage, we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This position is a Principal level position, with a compensation range of $128,242 to $158,418.