At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate, we help to make science more effective. We partner with researchers, patients, and healthcare innovators to drive collaborative data-driven science to improve health. Making science more open, collaborative, and inclusive ultimately advances biomedicine.
We are seeking a product manager to work with our diverse team to guide the development and implementation of our scientific and technological services. This is a role that will work closely with senior management and will adapt in a dynamic manner to meet the needs of the organization. The Product Manager will join the team responsible for the development and support of Synapse, our platform for championing open community approaches to scientific research. The successful candidate will be able to guide product development, support research collaborations, and coordinate work across multi-disciplinary teams.
What you’ll be doing:
- Systematically assessing and reporting on scientific and technological opportunities for Sage to support collaborative biomedical research. Providing intelligence on the capabilities and needs of Sage competitors, partners, and customers to senior management and helping to develop the program’s strategic direction and product roadmap.
- Developing use cases and requirements to guide the development of extensions to our technology platform, and partnering with designers and community managers to obtain and integrate user feedback. Developing and prioritizing the product backlog, and working with design and engineering management to develop staffing plans and timelines.
- Providing ongoing evaluation and feedback on Synapse to the core engineering and design team. Developing and maintaining effective channels of communication to keep the user community informed on new platform capabilities and other Sage programs, and building compelling, customer-focused content that develops the user community.
- Developing and implementing a plan for marketing and community building within our user groups, and assessing the effectiveness of customer outreach and retention over time to build the user base. Leading outreach activities that may include developer meet-ups, representation at scientific meetings, and/or user workshops. Developing documentation, tutorials, workshops, and other training materials that and partner with the research team to deliver training and support to the Synapse user community.
- Contributing to business development including development of collaborations, fund-raising and/or grant writing.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have obtained a BS or MS in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Genomics or similar technical degree.
- Have 3+ years in professional product management roles supporting SaaS offerings. Ability to drive the software development lifecycle in a cloud-hosted environment.
- Are familiar with typical tools for data science, preferably supporting scientific / biomedical user communities.
- Possess strong verbal, written, and organizational skills with the ability to communicate with a variety of technical and non-technical collaborators and drive projects to successful conclusions.
- Have demonstrated a versatile technical and analytical skill set in a variety of technical environments, including:
- Computational biology / bioinformatics tools and workflows
- Math / statistical languages with an emphasis on R and Python
- Are familiar with professional software development tools (GitHub, Jira, etc) and agile software development practices
- Would call yourself a self-starter with an aptitude for multitasking and time management
- Small amount of travel may be required (<10%)
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a world-leading nonprofit biomedical research organization. We are dedicated to building and supporting open communities of collaborative research in human health and genomics. We are developing multiple initiatives designed to facilitate scientific collaborations and enable direct contributions of ideas and data from citizens to research projects.
Sage embraces diversity and equity. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.