Applications will be accepted until Jan 31, 2024.
At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will accelerate translation of science into medicine.
Our Sage Internship program aims to train and grow the community of early career scientists and engineers who believe in making scientific research responsible, reproducible, and open. This internship position will be a part of the Scientific Coordination and Community Engagement Team at Sage, which focuses on making biomedical data, tools, and other resources more accessible to the larger research community through practices of Team Science principles. This position will work under the mentorship of scientists in the team, and specifically focus on building applications that enable non-technical users to interactively explore multimodal biomedical data produced through cancer research.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop interactive web applications for exploration of biomedical data in a well-scoped project focusing on cancer research.
- Participate in collaborative code review.
- Present project outcomes at the completion of the internship to colleagues and mentors.
- Document project outcomes for future follow-up or publication.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are currently enrolled in a graduate (Master’s or Doctorate) program in bioinformatics, computer science, data science, or computational science (e.g., health, physical, or mathematical). Candidates with Masters in related fields currently enrolled in coding or data science bootcamp will also be considered.
- Have an interest in building interactive applications for biomedical data
- Have robust experience in Python, or other languages like R, Unix, or Bash
- Can commit to a 3 month or 6 month full-time position
- Have experience with Git or Github
- Have attention to detail and the ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
Preferred but not required:
- Have experience with building web applications for biomedical data using softwares like PyReact, R Shiny, or Streamlit
- Have experience in working with genomics, transcriptomics (single-cell or spatial transcriptomics), or imaging (immunofluorescence or histology) data
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; may stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Interns are eligible for a number of benefits including paid time off, paid sick time, paid holidays, access to org-wide events, such as Home Week, professional development opportunities through org-wide training & workshops, transportation benefits & more.
At Sage, we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This position is an intern level position, with a range of $24 to $33 per hour.