Sage Bionetworks Culture
At Sage Bionetworks, our inclusive worldwide culture celebrates multiple approaches and points of view, driving innovation in knowing we gain knowledge by learning from each other. By improving the way scientists collaborate with healthcare innovators and patients, we help to make science more effective and advance biomedicine.
The Informatics & Biocomputing Team
The Informatics & Biocomputing team provides technical solutions that make it easier for scientists to get their job done. We build scalable and portable technologies that facilitate data sharing, management, and analysis. We also develop infrastructure for scientific benchmarking and collaborate with research team members to identify use cases, define data models, implement tools, develop workflows, and manage cloud resources, while adopting and promoting standards for open science.
Are you energized by being an important contributor to a team with a passion for mission-driven work, collaborating with computational biologists, software engineers, and data scientists? If so, you could be our next Bioinformatics Engineer.
As a member of our team, you partner with scientists and other bioinformatics engineers in the larger Data & Tooling group to tackle projects in cancer and neurodegenerative disease research, clinical informatics, and other healthcare domains. You engineer back- and front-end components to enable team science across the lifecycle of resource development and dissemination. By interacting with multiple communities across the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Global Alliance for Genomics & Health (GA4GH), you have endless opportunities to learn from and contribute to a broader collaborative ecosystem to accelerate biomedical discovery.
What you’ll do
- Contribute enthusiasm for collaboration and problem solving and a passion for findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable solutions in biomedical research.
- Collaborate with scientists, software developers, and project managers to build, refine, and deliver applications and services to enable open, collaborative research.
- Support multidisciplinary teams in developing standards and infrastructure for community benchmarking initiatives.
- Design, document, and implement new APIs and client libraries for connecting internal and external systems across cloud environments.
- Work with the Sage platform engineering team to improve and extend existing products like Synapse (synapse.org), including new integrations with third-party solutions.
- Participate in and monitor the development of external groups and communities to stay informed on best practices and standards.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Earned an MS in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computer Engineering or related field and 5+ years of relevant job experience, or a BS and 7+ years of relevant job experience.
- Are enthusiastic about open science, collaboration, and reproducible research.
- Are proficient with collaborative development and version control systems (e.g. git).
- are skilled in scripting and package development in Python and optionally R.
- Have experience interacting with (and preferably, designing and implementing) RESTful or GraphQL API web services and clients.
- enjoy supporting diverse teams, including computational biologists, research ethicists, software engineers, and data librarians, to solve complex scientific problems.
- Possess effective verbal, written, and organizational skills and can communicate with a variety of technical and non-technical collaborators.
And, also preferred, BUT not required
- Experience developing interactive apps and visualizations in R with Shiny, htmlwidgets, and related libraries.
- Comfortable working in a cloud-based IT environment.
- Proficient in container technologies such as Docker.
- Experience deploying software and infrastructure solutions to one or more widely used cloud platforms (AWS, Google, Azure).
- Experience working with biomedical (including genomic, imaging, or clinical) data.
Due to Covid-19, all interviews will be conducted remotely
This position is eligible to be fully remote. Sage Bionetworks is actively working on policies and plans for the post-COVID distributed work environment.