At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will improve human health.
We are seeking a finance professional with experience in the nonprofit sector. If you are passionate about working in an organization that is mission driven and have interest or experience in the biomedical research sector, Sage Bionetworks may be a great fit for you.
This role is an integral part of our business operations team supporting multiple stakeholders — including computational biologists, research ethicists, software engineers, and data librarians working collaboratively on a diverse portfolio of research projects. In this position, you will work with the accounting and grant management team, as well as directly with the research teams to manage and forecast our project portfolio. You will be involved in the planning and financial reporting, and implementation of systems to support decision making. A successful candidate will be results-oriented, self-driven, adaptable, and willing to explore new solutions as well as work effectively across teams to implement new approaches.
What you will be doing:
- Forecasting revenue and expenses related to the organization’s project portfolio.
- Together with the grant management and research teams, managing program budgets and forecasting financial needs.
- Tracking performance against budget, identifying issues, and communicating with the team
- Effort Reporting, including providing compliance oversight, and managing, forecasting and certifying effort allocation across projects.
- Working with the grant management team in pre- and post-award management, specifically in budget development, tracking and reporting.
- Working with the grant management team to ensure the organization’s grant related practices are compliant.
- Assisting in the analysis and reporting on the organization’s financial activities to support decision making.
- Evaluating and implementing new reports and methods for communicating financial information.
- Evaluating, recommending, and implementing automated systems to support the organization’s financial and grant management processes.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or a related field.
- Minimum of eight years of experience in a non-profit accounting/finance-oriented or financial grant management position. Experience in the life science sector preferred.
- Experience with financial reporting, including the ability to create new reports to effectively communicate information.
- Experience with financial modeling and forecasting software, including the ability to evaluate and implement new systems, as well as improve upon existing systems.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, specifically you must have experience using the Power Query Editor.
- Experience managing a project portfolio, including developing and tracking budgets.
- Experience in grant management, both pre- and post-award, preferred.
- Ability to work independently, handle ambiguity, be solution oriented and comfortable communicating to all levels in the organization.
- Commitment to working and building consensus with a diverse group of stakeholders toward solutions that support the organization.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Desire to maximize the contribution of this position through a willingness to explore, create and grow in the role.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; may stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Sage Bionetworks is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit package, competitive to both commercial and not-for-profit life science organizations. The plan includes: health, dental, vision, life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Long Term Disability benefits; paid time off; a retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; a shared incentives plan, voluntary Long Term Care insurance, and other voluntary products. Additional information can found here: Benefits – Sage Bionetworks
At Sage we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This position is a Senior level position, with a compensation range of $95,726 to $128,034.