At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by engaging and collaborating with people from a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will improve human health.
Alzheimer’s Disease Translational Research
We are looking for a Research Scientist to support the newly-established Exceptional Longevity Data Coordination and Management Center (DMCC). The EL-DMCC supports several National Institute on Aging-funded programs aimed at uncovering the biological underpinnings of exceptional long-life and resilience to age-related diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease. The Research Scientist will contribute to computational biology research projects within this network. You will oversee, plan, and perform collaborative research in support of cross-team efforts as well as perform and publish independent research. Initial research areas will include: 1) applying novel computational, statistical, and systems biology approaches to multi-omic human and model system data, 2) developing methods to harmonize clinical and omics data from multiple sources, and 3) jointly analyzing data from AD resilience and exceptional longevity cohorts. Enthusiasm for the application of computational biology and technology to enable open, collaborative, and reproducible biomedical research is essential.
What you’ll be doing: (key job responsibilities)
- Performing research from inception to publication on genetic and genomic contributions to exceptional longevity and resilience to neurodegenerative diseases in humans and other animal systems.
- Crafting and developing algorithms for interrogating and interpreting complex genomic data.
- Coordinating collaborative research across multi-investigator working groups.
- Establishing and implementing methods for harmonizing clinical and omics data required for cross-project analyses.
- Writing technical documentation for a scientific audience, authoring scientific papers for peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- Training and mentoring scientists and research associates.
We’d love to hear from you if you: (basic skills/qualifications)
- Have a Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Genetics, Neuroscience, Computer Science, or related discipline; or another scientific degree with commensurate experience.
- Have experience working with high dimensional genomic data, such as whole genome sequencing data, transcriptomics, metabolomics, and/or data from other high-throughput biological technologies.
- Demonstrate excellence in research with evidence of advancing an area of computational or systems biology or biostatistics.
- Are proficient in R or Python.
- Have experience with data harmonization or meta-analysis.
- Have experience with advanced statistical techniques or machine learning methods, such as multivariable linear and logistic regression, survival analysis, dimensionality reduction, Bayesian inference, and optimization methods.
- Have a demonstrated understanding of issues related to study design.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Are passionate about open science, reproducible research, and collaboration.
- Experience with collaborative coding (e.g. github) and reproducible research practices is preferred.
- Evidence of project leadership within large team science projects or research consortia is preferred.
- Experience with large scale human omics and clinical cohort data is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and those that may be required occasionally. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; may stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times.
- Can work under deadlines.
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit biomedical research and technology development organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our focus is to develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. Data-driven research has become an important component of biomedicine, but it’s not always easy to understand how to apply computational approaches appropriately or how to interpret their results. Sage believes open practices can help. Our interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers work together to provide researchers access to technology tools and scientific approaches to share data, benchmark methods, and explore collective insights, all backed by Sage’s gold-standard governance protocols and commitment to user-centered design. Sage is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions.
At Sage, we have a distributed workforce and support remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements within the United States. All interviews will be conducted virtually unless otherwise communicated.
Sage Bionetworks is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit package, competitive to both commercial and not-for-profit life science organizations. The plan includes: health, dental, vision, life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Long Term Disability benefits; paid time off; a retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; a shared incentives plan, voluntary Long Term Care insurance, and other voluntary products. Additional information can found here: Benefits – Sage Bionetworks.
At Sage, we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization. This position is a Senior level position, with a compensation range of $104,050 – $139,167.