At Sage Bionetworks, we believe that we can learn more by learning from each other. We develop and apply open practices to data-driven research for the advancement of human health. We are working to establish actionable biomedical observations through the reliable analysis and responsible sharing of representative data. By improving the way scientists collaborate and by increasing the reliability of research, we will improve human health.
Do you want to be an enthusiastic contributor to a team of problem solvers – computational biologists, software engineers, and data scientists? Have you worked in a software development field and have a passion for mission-driven work? If so, you could be our next Technical Project Manager.
Data and Tooling Department – Operations Team
The Data & Tooling Department at Sage provides technical solutions that make it easier for biomedical researchers and data scientists to get their job done. As part of the operations team, you will contribute your expertise in project management to help deliver quality software solutions to scientists tackling projects in cancer and neurodegenerative disease research, clinical informatics, and other healthcare domains. Our team collaborates with engineering and research team members to identify funding opportunities, establish project plans, and develop products that contribute to defining data models, implementing tools, developing workflows, and managing cloud resources while adopting and promoting standards for open science.
As Technical Project Manager within the D&T group, you will provide project management support for the FAIR data team and assist with the development of the workstream products. Ideal candidates will bring expertise in scientific or technical project or product management, a passion for open science, and a drive to develop operational solutions for project needs.
Here’s what you will do:
- Coordinate and monitor the scrum process from initiation through delivery, focusing on timely delivery of value to our stakeholders.
- Engage with the product owner, development team, management, and stakeholders to ensure all target requirements and deliverables are met.
- Work with product owner to ensure team members understand project objectives, focusing on cross-functional accountability, teamwork, and iterative progress toward well-defined goals.
- Maintain and report out status of project work and monitor progress on deliverables.
- Keep leadership informed of key issues that may impact project completion, budget, or scope.
- Maintain team backlog and product release plan.
- Facilitate productivity by setting up meetings and removing impediments blocking team progress on sprint goals.
- Gather required data from end-users to evaluate whether technical specifications and deliverables meet project goals.
- Maintain and update the product roadmap and coordinate priorities with product owner and engineers.
- With team members, bring best practices, and improve existing processes and efficiency.
- Provide support for technical writing and documentation efforts.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- A BS in a technical discipline such as computer science, biomedical science, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years in scrum master, technical project management, or technical product management role, including working in agile software environments.
- Experience with Agile Scrum ceremonies (e.g. backlog grooming, sprint planning, standups, and retrospectives).
- Familiarity with software management tools, including tools for managing agile development process, issue tracking, documentation (e.g. Jira, GitHub).
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce, including senior leadership and team leads.
- Adaptability to changing work requirements; professional integrity; and a strong client service orientation.
- Experience writing technical specifications, working with designers and developers, and translating technological vocabulary and processes to non-technical stakeholders.
And, also preferred, BUT not required
- Familiar with modern software engineering challenges and existing technological solutions in data science, bioinformatics, and/or biomedical data coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to balance priorities to determine which tasks/deliverables are most critical and anticipation of blockers on the critical path of these deliverables
- Experience with working in a highly matrixed work environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; may stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- May require travel dependent on company needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds at times.
More About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks is a nonprofit health research organization that was founded in Seattle in 2009. We use open practices that increase the reliability of scientific claims to speed the translation of science to medicine. We support responsible data sharing, objective evaluation of methods and results across researchers, and the empowerment of participants to be active partners in research. Sage is a 501c3 and is supported through a portfolio of competitive research grants, commercial partnerships, and philanthropic contributions. Sage embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. We are based in Seattle, WA, and collaborate broadly throughout the world.
At Sage we have a distributed workforce and support flexible remote and/or on-site hybrid work arrangements. All interviews will be conducted virtually, unless otherwise communicated.
This position is a professional level position on our Technical and Engineering Professional career ladder, with a compensation range of $89,735 to $143,575. At Sage we engage equitable workplace strategies to ensure fair compensation. Actual compensation is dependent upon current market data, experience, and pay parity within our organization.