Diversity & Inclusion
At Sage, we strive for a welcoming and inclusive environment, where all voices are heard, and where what we do for each other is as important as the work we do with our collaborators and partners.
We believe science is better together – regardless of race, age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, migratory status, disability, political affiliation, veteran status, or socioeconomic background.
We recognize that diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of a continuous effort to create a culture where our differences are celebrated, together is better, and the advancement of open science involves all of us. To be able to do this meaningful work, we are committed to fostering an open and welcoming environment for our Sage team members and collaborators. This commitment is built into our core values and code of conduct, expected of all who participate in the Sage community.
Code of Conduct
We expect all who participate within the Sage community, including all Sage employees, contractors, board members, and collaborators, to abide by this Code of Conduct when working with Sage, including in Sage’s physical spaces (i.e. Sage Bionetworks office and events*), digital spaces (i.e. email communication, SMS, video chats, JIRA, GitHub, Slack*), and in Sage related social media channels.
We require and promote the following behaviors as a Sage Bionetworks team member and collaborator:
- Be welcome and inclusive.
- Participate in an authentic and active way.
- Respect the viewpoints and ideas of others.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Show empathy and kindness when interacting with others.
The following behaviors* are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information (“doxing”).
- Sending, posting, or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes sexualized comments or jokes, inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcome sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following (online or in-person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com. Anonymous reports may be made using the Sage Safe Hotline by calling 1-855-662-SAFE (1-855-662-7233) or through the website SAFEHOTLINE.COM, referencing the Sage ID number 6882112080. All complaints will be reviewed and investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. HR and all the involved parties are obligated to maintain the confidentiality of the reporter.
*This is not meant to be a complete list.
This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 1.4.